Tuesday, 6 October 2026

Painting in September

 A mixed bag this month, concentrating on wading through my 28mm Fantasy pile.

First up a few more models from the Wildspire Realm Reforged set.


A large crocodile. Lots of uses there, from fantsy to VSF and Pulp gaming.

This big guy had been sitting on the painting table, just undercoated for a while, then we went to see The Odyssy at the cinema and it just had to be done.

Then rest of the pack of Deep Ones to join the lonely gribbly I painted up in August.

 Some 3d printed terrain. I bought a set online "Moonwell Shrine". Unfortunately Evri, displaying their their usual level of care, managed to break the main piece by using the box as a football. Or at least that's what the box looked like when I received it! The vendor was quick to send me a replacement item, no no loss there.

I decided to see what I could do with the damaged piece first, using tufts and vegetation to hide the damaged areas and turn it into a woodland pond or sacred well.

I also painted up the separate standing stones that came with the set.

A bunch of guards for an upcoming Sellswords and Spellslingers campaign, inspired by Guards of Traitor's Toll.
A single gnoll (Alternative Armies Dogman). This was one of a set of four, but the casting's sword broke off in transit. I painted his companions back in January, so I thought I'd better get on with him. I found a suitable plastic axe and drilled his hand out to fit, so he might get on the table sometime soon.



On a different tack, I have recently been introduced to Void Admiral, an excellent (and simple) set of star ship combat rules. Sadly I'd disposed of my GZG and Kallistra fleets some years back, but I managed to pick up some painted models on Ebay. Mostly Kallistra, with a few 3d prints and two metal ships I didn't recognise. These two were just undercoated, so I quickly did them up with some acrylic pens.

I also managed to make a start on the Darkest Dungeon: The Crimson Court boxed set I picked up on a bit of a whim. I'm still not sure what I will end up using these for (Sellswords & Spellslingers, VSF, Fantasy renaissance?) but I didn't want these to be another project lost and unpainted in the Cupboard of Shame.


Firstly 3 Sycophants, dog-sized insects with long snouts/stingers (to my mind that have a hint of the old D&D stirges about them). Presumably these are responsible for introducing and spreading the mutating disease within the Crimson Court.

A group shot of what I've painted so far. From the left  Manservant, Esquire, Gatekeeper, Courtesan and Chevalier. I'll probably do a separate post on these later on, once I get some more painted.



No comments:

Post a Comment