Saturday 11 May 2019

Frostgrave Lich Lord game 4

Mark, Henry, Colin and myself have been working our way through the Thaw of the Lich Lord campaign book in our monthly Frostgrave gaming days. We had retired our wizards after the previous campaign and started again from scratch, which might not have been the best idea as we seem to be encountering some tough monsters. Mind you that's our own fault as we play that every treasure generates a monster in our games.

In the end this game was a bit of a blood bath all round. Things started off OK, but you just know that's going to change at some point.....

The table at the end of the first turn, the skeletons in the centre are, as yet, unanimated (inanimated?). With 4 players we have started entering from the corners, which makes the treasure placing less cramped and gives the warbands a bit more elbow room at the start.

Henry's new toy, his Wizard's Eye!

Henry's wizard sneaks a treasure out of the centre with telekinesis. The fog was cast by Mark's wizard to blind the Wizard's Eye. In fact all the wizards took to lobbing fog about in the open central area to cover themselves, it looked more like a British assault in Normandy!


The first monster to turn up is a Giant Worm! Right in the middle of Colin's party as well.

Next up, another Giant Worm, this time right behind Henry. How I laughed.....

....until a flippin' Frost Wraith showed up just by my apprentice. My captain (with his Vampire Sword) rushed up to engage the spirit. Unfortunately he was dead in two rounds of combat!
 

At this point my battery died! I'd committed the cardinal sin of not charging it before the guys arrived.

I managed to avoid the Frost Wraith who wandered off to a distant corner and stayed out of the rest of the game. Both Henry and Colin were able to see off the worms with minimal casualties.

My warband moved up under cover of fog to grab a couple of treasures. With the fog blocking LOS and all ranged attacks on a -4 because of the snowstorm, Mark decided the best thing to do was charge in and get up close and personal. Seeing our two warband charging each other, Colin thought it was a good idea and also charged into the middle area. Henry saw him coming and chickened out! While Mark and my warbands were battering each other, Henry ran away conducted a fighting retreat from Colin's blood crazed mob.

Mark and I both lost men, but I got his captain and my man-at-arms managed to catch his apprentice. He'd got a bit too cocky and strayed too close to the "grown-ups" melee, so I split his head open like a watermelon. Not a good look for the next Young Wizards convention!

What was left of Mark's warband legged it (they had been able to snaffle 3 treasures) with my lot in close pursuit. He got two treasures off but my bowmen managed to down the third treasure carrier close to the table edge, despite the snowstorm. Greed made Mark keep his wizard on a bit too long to try and save the treasure and my infantryman caught up with him. This was the time I rolled a 20 in combat! Another dead spellcaster.

Despite the high attrition, most characters survived the post-game checks to fight again. Mark had a soldier killed permanently and another will be missing the next game. My captain was, sadly, also proper dead, so I had to spend all the cash I picked up in this game to hire a replacement for the next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment