Saturday 16 May 2020

Keeping Myself Busy 8

Another mixed bag of goodies (or not) this week.

 A Dixon townswoman for my gunfight games.

 Two plastic Oathmark Light Elf Infantry. I just picked up a single sprue as a test, to see if I liked them. I know plastics are very popular now days, but these were my first foray into multi-part plastics. I have a few plastics in my collection, mainly undead, but previously I bought them secondhand and ready-assembled.
I liked these, but made the mistake of assembling them before painting, so trying to paint the clothing behind the arrow on the shooting figure was a real pain! I may use these as elves, or maybe rangers, or they may become alternative character figures for Sellswords.

 Westwind Vampire and "bride" from the Vampire Wars range. I might have over done the "eye shadow" on the male vampire.

 A splendid 19th century chappie. I was painting this to go in my western gunfight collection, but he has ended up looking more like a late Victorian/Edwardian English gent to me.

 A couple of stands of 10mm Confederate horseholders, old Chariot figures again.

Two more Essex medieval soldiers as generic fighters for Sellswords and Frostgrave.


The rest of this week's painting are a curious collection of resin odds and ends from  Ramshackle Games. I had been recommended to Ramshackle on one of the forums I frequent. The ranges ares largely post-apocalyptic in style, which isn't my thing, but there are plenty of figures that would suit fantasy or VSF games. Curtis is a really helpful guy to deal with and offers a pick and mix option of 10 items for £22. Some figures on offer are quite big and some items are sets of 2 or 4 pieces. It was a great way to get a selection of bits to try from different Ramshackle Games ranges.

The resin is a little bit brittle (as I found out when I snapped a wolf's tail off clearing it up) but any breaks are easily fixed with a dab of superglue.

 First up a stalking giant wolf. Now when I first saw these models, I must admit I didn't think they really looked like a wolf to me! But once I'd painted them I was really impressed with the malevolent expression on their faces. They look ideal as some sort of demonic creatures, or else natural creature possessed by evil spirits, like Tolkien's take on werewolves in the Silmarillion.

Here are the two poses together, the second one is listed as "loping" but by tilting it on the base I've made it leaping on it's victim. I can't  decide if I prefer the darker effect on the right hand creature, or the lighter effect on the left hand one. I'll leave them as they are for now but probably repaint one of them at some point.

 For scale, this is one of the wolves next to an Oathmark elf.

 Everyone need a damsel in distress to save from the Dark Wizard/dragon/kraken/evil genius etc. This model is generic enough to suit most genres from fantasy to pulp.

 A set of "plant lurk tokens" which I'll probably use for poisonous flora of one kind or another.

 A "Slithe", another odd character which I will find some use for, perhaps the leader of my cultists.

"Bedraggled Captives" ideal for a rescue scenario from orc slavers or jungle cannibals.  This four-figure set counted a a single item in the pick and mix, so an absolute bargain!

I will certainly be buying more from Ranshackle Games in the future and I'd advise anyone looking for something a little different to give the website a look, you are bound to find something of interest!

2 comments: