Thursday 29 February 2024

New Gaming Mat

 I was browsing the internet the other day (as you do) when I came across an artificial moss mat/roll. It looked interesting and the supplier sold them in various sizes, including 1 metre squares, idea size for skirmish gaming! It wasn't too expensive, so I decided to give one a go and it turned up in todays post.

It is on some foam-like backing, quite thick (1 cm or so) but it looks like it will roll up nicely. The green is a little bright, but not unbearable, and as I envisioned this for a water-logged moor type environment, that's fine.


Minis work fine on it, human sized plastic minis on plastic bases are a little unstable in places, but bigger minis and metal minis (or plastic on metal bases) all stand up OK.

Here are some shots of various minis trying the new surface out!








I don't think this will be replacing my fabric gaming mats, but I can see it getting some use for historical and fantasy gaming. Hobbits scurrying around the Barrow Downs or Gothic Horror, hunting the creature over the moors!!!

3 comments:

  1. Looks very effective, and nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please share price and shop details? we never hace enough mats :)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this on a couple of online shops, but they were out of stock of 1m squares, so I ended up using Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155431703461?var=455633930166

      Delete