Wednesday 3 June 2020

Scenario Book for Sellswords & Spellslingers Update 3

It's with the publisher!

I submitted my final text to Ganesha Games this week, so it is another step closer to publication. Obviously it will be a while yet as it still needs editing, design, layout and artwork producing, but I'm hoping that it should be in print by the autumn.

So, what does it consist of?

The book is a narrative mini-campaign of 5 linked scenarios, designed to be played by either Basic (up to 100 XP) or Expert (100 to 150 XP) level parties. Each scenario will have two versions, varying the foes and challenges, depending on the level of the party, although the basic victory conditions will be the same.

There are new foes, including an Ogre and mounted Orcs and Goblins. The book also introduces a new concept to Sellswords and Spellslingers, the Battlebeast. This is not a foe in it's own right, but rather any ferocious beast (wolf, boar or even unicorn!) that can be used as a mount by any humanoid foe. The Battlebeast's stats are additional values that augment the rider's own stats. This way players can use what ever models they have in their own collection. Whether a player has goblins mounted on spiders or lizardmen riding small dinosaurs, that's no problem.


6 comments:

  1. Is it meant to be played two-player or solitaire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same as the original rules, it's based on the party size/strength, not the number of players. It will work equally as a solo game or a cooperative game for 2 or more players.

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    This comment would be more appropriate for a private email but I couldn't find a way to email you directly, so I'm dropping it here instead. I am looking for some advice on choosing a skirmish game, and am trying to decide between Sellswords and Spellslingers and Song of Blades and Heroes.

    I'm looking for a simple ruleset that I can use to do some small-scale skirmish battles using LEGO. I would like to get my young children involved, so I'd prefer cooperative rules. I know SoBaH is competitive but there are fan-made solo rules that could probably be used for coop battles, though I don't know how that would compare to having custom-made coop rules as in SaS.

    The particular thing I like about SoBaH is that I would know ahead of time exactly which figures would be used in the battles so we could build them ahead of time and have exactly the amount we need for the game. Whereas with SaS it sounds like there is a random element to the number and types of figures needed for each game, which would make it a bit more difficult to prepare. (Not to mention that I don't know if we would have enough LEGO materials to make the required number of enemies in every case.) Could there possibly be a way to use the SaS rules but have a set number/type of figures predetermined before the game starts?

    Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really comment on ASOBAH as I've never played it. With S&S there is a random element, but you can recycle the dead foes so you don't need too many. You could also set a limit of the number of stronger foes in play at any one time. I'd stick with scenarios with a limited number of different types of foes. I hope this helps.

      Delete
  3. good question whats the avarange number of models in sellsword spellslingers.. im sure ive enough coming from from hardwired and nightwatch which need about 10 of each enemy so 30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does vary depending on the number of players and the power of the foes, obviously more for things like goblins and skeletons. 30 should give you more than enough sword fodder. I usually find you get between 10 and 20 lower level bad guys on the table at one time, obviously more if you have a bad run of event cards!

      Delete