Tuesday 9 April 2019

A New Ship!

I have added a new vessel to my British fleet, an armed Isles Trawler with a 3 pounder gun and two twin 20mm. It is my first 3D printed model, from this chap https://www.magpiedesigner.com/.

I haven't really had much experience of 3D printing and I was pleasantly surprised. It's a nice model, perfectly adequate for my standard of painting, and will look fine on the table. It isn't as crisply detailed as the Warlord plastics or Heroics and Ros resin, but then again it's half the price of the Warlord trawler or the upcoming H&R ship! My only gripe was it comes with two masts, but the hole for the rearward mast was filled in. Because it's situated between the funnel and the superstructure the gap was too small for me to fit a drill in to re-drill the hole, so my ship will only have one mast. I'm sure I'll find a use for the other one sometime.

Here are some before and after pictures, I needed to get it ready quickly for her first outing on Thursday.

As it comes out of the packet.


The finished model.

And with a Warlord Vosper for scale.

3 comments: